Zinedine Zidane wants his son Luca to be Real Madrid‘s back-up goalkeeper next season behind first-choice Thibaut Courtois.
Los Blancos coach Zidane told Keylor Navas that he can leave this summer in a conversation between the pair last Friday.
When World Cup Golden Glove-winner Courtois arrived at Real Madrid last summer, he joined 32-year-old Navas and youngster Andriy Lunin as options between the sticks.
The board told Julen Lopetegui to ease Courtois into the starting position, with the end goal being the Belgian ending up the number one.
However, Lopetegui chose Courtois as his goalkeeper in LaLiga Santander and continued to play Navas in the Champions League.
After Santiago Solari replaced Lopetegui, Courtois was made indisputable first-choice ‘keeper and Navas had to make do with Copa del Rey games only.
Ever since Zidane‘s return to the dugout, Navas seems to have reclaimed his place and there has been raging debate as to whether he or Courtois would end up leaving the club in the summer.
Meeting at Valdebebas
As MARCA have reported, Zidane told Navas he was surplus to requirements at Los Blancos at the club’s training ground last week.
Club directors Jose Angel Sanchez and Juni Calafat had previously told Zidane that there would be a first-choice goalkeeper and a young back-up for next season.
The coach has followed the club’s wishes but it’s not clear whether he’s keeping the goalkeeper that he wants.
However, it’s now clear that Zidane would rather have Luca Zidane as that young back-up rather than Lunin and the coach doesn’t think there’s much difference between the two youngsters.
Lunin hasn’t been able to claim the starting spot in goal in his season-long loan at Leganes and has played just six matches for Mauricio Pellegrino‘s side.
Luca in Castilla
Luca, 21, made his senior Real Madrid debut on the final day of last season against Villarreal at the Estadio de la Ceramica.
He’s found himself as low as fourth-choice goalkeeper during this campaign and has featured regularly for Castilla in the third tier of Spanish football.
He became third-choice when Kiko Casilla left for Leeds United and his father selected him to play against Huesca at the Santiago Bernabeu in March.
The club has other ideas
Zidane‘s proposal to make Luca second-choice for next season hasn’t gone down well with the board, who believe Lunin should fulfill that role.
“Those that know me know that Luca is here on his own merit,” was Zidane‘s response to people questioning Luca‘s ability in April.