Real Madrid have it all to do to progress to the last 16 of the Champions League following Tuesday’s defeat to Shakhtar Donetsk. Both teams are now on seven points each in Group B with one game left to play but, crucially, Shakhtar have won the head-to-head record between them.
The group is nicely poised going into Matchday 6 next week. Real Madrid host leaders Borussia Monchengladbach at the Estadio Alfredo Di Stefano while Inter play Shakhtar in Milan.
– If Real Madrid beat Borussia, they’ll reach the Round of 16 in first if Shakhtar don’t beat Inter, or as second if the Ukrainians take the three points from Stadio Giuseppe Meazza.
– If Real Madrid draw against Gladbach and Shakhtar are defeated by Inter. He would enter the Round of 16 from second in the group.
– If Real Madrid lose to Gladbach and Inter do not win.
– If Real Madrid draw against Gladbach and Shakhtar score against Inter.
OUT OF EUROPE
– If Real Madrid lose to Gladbach at home and Inter beat Shakhtar in Milan.